The DOK with the TECH
Many educators today are familiar with Webb’s Depth-of-Knowledge Levels and are exploring new strategies to ensure student learning at a greater DOK level. As our classrooms today becomes more tech-centric and our students become more immersed in the world of technology it is important to examine how technology impacts teaching and learning. It is no longer enough to just provide the technology in our schools and institutions. It is imperative to examine the level of student engagement and how technology affects pedagogy and the delivery of content. How can we leverage the use of technology and create lessons that "teach to the top of Webb's DOK?
Step One: Take One Step Back with Bloom's Revised Taxonomy and then a Step Forward to
Step Two: Take a look at your Targeted Course of Study Standards
- Determine just exactly what you want your students to do
- Develop your essential questions
- Develop content area questions that you want your students to answer
Step Three: Choose Your Tech Tools
- Work backwards and design first
- Hip Hop Goldilocks DOK Level 3/4, Uses Google Slides, Critical Thinking Skills, Communication and Collaboration
- Student Directions for Hip Hop Goldilocks: What happens when you change a very old story into something that could happen today? How would you adapt an old tale to create a modern story? Each of you will complete 2 slides in our Hip Hop Goldilocks Tale. You are going to collaboratively rewrite the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears and turn it into a modern tale. I have started the tale for you on slide #3. Each of you needs to complete one slide from slides 4-11 and then complete one additional slide of your choice. You can choose to do the character slide, the setting, conflict, resolution or any other slide after slide 11. Please remember to complete slides 4-11 first so everyone needs to do their part ASAP.
Step Four: Have Students Use the 4 C's: Communication, Collaboration, Creativity and Critical Thinking Skills
Homework Challenge: Develop an idea for a DOK/Technology Embedded Lesson and share on Padlet. A drawing will be held on March 16th for a $25 Amazon gift card. Link to DOK Padlet
Resources for Building the Perfect Level Three or Four DOK Lesson using the TECH (Just Remember it's not the TECH it's how the Teacher uses the TECH
- Mark Coleman Site
- Make Beliefs Comix!
- Fodey Newspaper Generator
- Build Your Wild Self
- Picture Trail
- More Cool Tools
- Little Bird Tales
- Class Tools
- Bubble Us
- Google Drive, Docs, Slides, Sheets and Forms